[sustran] Fuel consumed by idling

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue May 8 02:56:31 JST 2007

Please cite sources for the claim that 40% of fuel is used from
idling. I suspect that it is a misinterpretation of the data. A
typical vehicle consumes about a tenth as much fuel per unit of time
while idling as under load (typically about 1 liter per hour for a
car and 2 liters an hour for a large truck). If an average vehicle is
driven 1 hour per day and idles 5 minutes, idling represents about 1%
of total fuel consumption.

I think Cassini may be confusing idling with stop-and-go driving
conditions, but I'm skeptical that the traffic management strategies
he advocates would actually increase traffic efficiencies. I think
there is a good case for converting stop signs and signal
intersections to roundabouts, but I've yet to see evidence that
eliminating traffic controls altogether ("naked streets") reduces
delay or crash risk overall in most situations.

There are many anti-idling campaigns underway, but most seem to
exaggerate the benefits, they are an excuse to avoid the more
critical reforms needed to reduce economically excessive vehicle
travel and associated social costs (see http://www.vtpi.org/wwclimate.pdf ).

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 10:42 AM 5/6/2007, Martin Cassini wrote:
>Dashing out, but in the UK, about 30% of our CO2 output is from traffic.
>Prof David Begg admits that 40% of that is from traffic idling. How
>often does traffic idle at lights for no good reason? I live in King's
>Cross, and I would say a good (or bad!) half the time. Also you have to
>add the cost of manufacturing, installing, maintaining and RUNNING the
>galaxy of 24-hour lights - this alone represents a massive carbon
>footprint. If it wasn't for the lights, traffic would filter and flow,
>instead of continually stop, idle and re-start. Traffic volume can be a
>drama, but volume + controls = crisis.
>
>Martin

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"