[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

Martin Cassini martincassini at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 7 21:18:13 JST 2007

Thanks Marcus. Perhaps I'm ploughing a different, though related,
furrow. I'm not nailing my intuition to any particular mast, but I
suppose believe in a kind of Gaia principle: the ability of humans to
find an optimum level of efficiency and quality of life without much
overt interference. With increasing awareness of the undesirable
consequences of burning oil, plus laudable lobbying by car-free groups,
plus moves towards sustainable energy sources and living modes, plus
more compact and interesting urban developments, it seems to me that
urban sprawl and over-reliance on car use will soon be perceived as
undesirable roads to nowhere, and it will all come right in the end. So
I prefer a live-and-let live approach with minimum coercion and maximum
enlightenment (if that makes any sense ...)

Martin