[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

Martin Cassini martincassini at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 7 18:54:46 JST 2007

Markus,

Sorry if my dogma/logic posting was rather glib. I don't claim to be an
expert. I just have my doubts about the claim that traffic will expand
to fill the available road space is true. There are thousands of miles
of virtually empty roads even here in the UK. It seems to me that
misguided priority rules, limited junction capacity and artificial
barriers to traffic flow and dispersal are at the root of many of our
congestion problems.

(From a forthcoming article in Traffic Technology International:) I used
to commute between London and Cambridge by National Express. Buses too
have to idle, often pointlessly, at lights. Approaching the London end
of the M11, 6-mile-long tailbacks were routine. It wasn't just that 3
lanes became two and then one. As we inched east along the North
Circular, the cause of the extended queue became apparent: lights at
Redbridge roundabout. Each leg had its allotted green time. Although we
were the main stream, we got just 12 seconds. Reaction times alone
squander 13% of every minute
 Priority from the right, as at
roundabouts, is wrong too because it denies our instinct to give way to
people who were there first. Moreover, it can produce a "need" for
lights at roundabouts ... And the authorities blame us for climate
change!

BW
Martin