[sustran] Re: Transantiago - Is this a project of which we all need toknow more? YES!

Prof J G Krishnayya sri at giaspn01.vsnl.net.in
Sat May 5 12:36:57 JST 2007

Thank you Eric for bringing this to our attention.

Exceedingly good review article. Fair and Open.  This is what happens
even when there is a long, careful and good design – and when reliable
organisations like TCS are in charge of some of the projected work!

I think it is VERY IMPORTANT that we learn from this that anything that
can go wrong, WILL, and that trying to implement a complete solution
all-at-once simply will not work the way it is envisaged.

It seems to me the original plan WAS feasible.  They DID buy the busses
(the easiest step); The 80-seater Volvo busses seem to be the same ones
ordered for Pune BRT. We were too afraid to order the articulated ones.

A better implementation would have been to delay things for several
months (during which regional trials were done; the charge-cards were
tested, etc.) The Charge cards vs cash introduce real problems in re.
collection of fares, absence of conductors, etc.  I wonder if it would
ever be feasible to switch-over from a simple manual system with
conductors and cash fares to a pre-paid charge-card system.  Certainly
not in India.  I feel they ought to have implemented the system from
outside inward. I.e. first in the “local” municipalities and then linked
up to the “Main system” which might have been run independently for the
first few months.  Interchangeable fares from Metro and Bus seem a good
idea and entirely workable.

This is a case study which would repay a lot of study. Maybe we in Pune
(India) could contact TCS and use their presence in Santiago to write a
Case Study.  They too should be interested since their experience with
the GPS system (not operational after all) would set them up for many
other projects.

J G Krishnayya

Prof J G Krishnayya
Director, Systems Research Institute,