[sustran] Re: New Mobility in Paris - Innovatoins profiles for review and comment

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sat May 5 22:03:51 JST 2007

Hi,

The programme in Paris is based on the VeloV programme from Lyon.

In addition to what Dave says, there is the additional issue of what
kind of advertising would show up on all this JCDecaux property. Cars,
for example. Stereotypical images of women. Stuff to make people feel
insecure about what they don't have or if they are a little overweight,
etc.., like many ads. Street pollution. I am not interested in that kind
of trade-off.

Here is a similar view on this from someone who lives in Lyon:

<http://blogs.graphicdesignforum.com/chrisd/archives/2006/06/attack_of_the_k_1.html>

Prague has a system - in one district so far - based on the technology
which is used by OYBike in London.

Another example I like is this from the Netherlands, which is a
partnership between the rail infrastructure manager and the national
cycling advocacy organisation. It is a national programme. OV Fiets
means "public transport bikes":
<http://www.ov-fiets.nl/engels/index.htm> It has locations at over 100
railway stations nationwide.

VeloV is an unattended system, available 24 hours a day, which is free
for the first 30 minutes, but OV Fiets is more of a standard bike rental
with basic bikes, but one membership is good for the whole country.
VeloV bikes are special and get diagnosed automatically when parked. So
there are fundamental differences. OV Fiets is priced at about EUR 3 per
20 hours, whereas taking a bike on the train back and forth to a city is
EUR 10. So it is priced right, to give a people a good option to
bringing their own bike everywhere. It is growing in popularity.

Municipal authorities need to decide if they want to eliminate all types
of pollution, not one or two at the expense of another. If OV Fiets
could be a little more flexible and a little more like VeloV it would be
close to perfect.

- T

Eric Britton wrote:

> My fond hope and firm guess is that Dave Holladay will not mind my
> sharing this posting with you all. These are good points and certainly
> need to be taken into account in any neural presentation such as that
> which I am in the process of trying to piece together, not only on the
> Velib’ project but also the other innovative measures being reported
> on in my Paris survey
>
> Right under Dave’s good note, you will see the “screening criteria”
> which I am putting forth as acid tests for each selected measure and
> recommendation, including, you can bet, Velib’
>
> Comments on all this most welcome – and again I propose that they
> either be shipped to me privately at eric.britton at ecoplan.org or to
> the New Mobility Idea Factory via theNewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com
> address. (Otherwise apologies for cross-posting but I do believe there
> is wide interest here among our different groups. Also please feel
> free to share more broadly.)
>
> Eric Britton
>
> PS. Review copies are now available for comment.

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72