[sustran] Criteria for New Mobility innovations

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat May 5 19:56:59 JST 2007

Dear JK,

That’s extremely interesting that you would look at my “criteria scorecard”
or whatever one might wish to call it in the context of Transantiago that we
have been in parallel discussing. In drawing it up over the last several
days I was thinking mainly about the pre-selected (by me) innovations that
are presently in process here in Paris – and your crossing it to the
Transantiago project puts it all in a different perspective. Hmm.  Gotta
learn to get the right and left brains to working together on all this.

What do you all think about it if I add something along the following lines
to my shortlist?  (Help want for doing better on this and all the rest.)

Incremental implementation:  Can the measure or system be brought on line in
a phased, step-like manner which will permit debugging and fine tuning at
acceptable levels of public discomfort and cost?

Otherwise I am certainly struck by the centrality of your comments on what
are clear, and I am sure many of us think altogether avoidable strategic and
planning optimism and oversimplifications in the TA’s team approach. As a
strong supporter of new mobility innovation of which this is an important
example, I greatly regret these problems. It is such a clear object lesson,
for us all and I can only hope that they will now be able to scramble to
safety and get this important project working and accepted by all concerned.
I am in fact prudently confident that they have the brains, will and the
means to sort it out – but I would say once again that it would be good if
those of us with first hand information were to take the time to go over to
the TA entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transantiago -- and make it
better.

BTW, the entry is now posted in French German, Swedish and Spanish
versions – with this last, unsurprisingly, the most complete.

Eric Britton