[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

Martin Cassini martincassini at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 5 00:58:16 JST 2007

Lots to say and little time but in brief: my sympathies and analysis are
pro-planet and pro-freedom of choice/movement, but not anti-car. Roughly
speaking, traffic signals double congestion, journey times and fuel use
(and they are responsible for much of the carnage on the roads), so
until clean cars are widely available, e.g. the compressed air car from
France/Spain, scrapping lights would bring an immediate and significant
reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Moreover, lights cost a fortune
to manufacture, install, maintain and run. What is the cost to the grid
of the UK's galaxy of 24-hour lights? Todd, I like your point about
facilitating life between buildings, but I question the social
engineering element in some of your proposals. If people want to go
further afield and carry stuff or passengers, and go door-to-door, good
luck to them!

Martin