[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Fri May 4 23:59:07 JST 2007

Carlos,

I have enjoyed very much reading VS Naipul
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VS_Naipul>'s books about India. He is a
well-known writer of 'travel literature' (he recently won the Nobel
prize for literature) and has a very good perception of cultural issues.
He is of Indian descent, but has never lived in India, although he has
travelled there extensively. I have read his books Among the Believers:
An Islamic Journey
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_the_Believers:_An_Islamic_Journey>,
which is about his travels in the Islamic areas of Asia (including India
and Pakistan), and also India: A Million Mutinies Now
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India:_A_Million_Mutinies_Now>, which is
only about India. I think that he has newer material about these areas
as well. He is very opinionated and not everyone appreciates his views,
but I think that he is an excellent writer.

One of these days I hope to make it over there myself....

Best regards,

Zvi