[sustran] Re: BBRT - Bikes on BRT

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Thu May 3 01:58:54 JST 2007

Carlos F. Pardo wrote:
> Todd,
>
> Your idea sounds pretty good. Regarding folding bikes, I wouldn't
> really think this is feasible. The cheapest folding bicycle I've seen
> is 60 euro (in Beijing, almost straight from the dealer), and it
> didn't seem to be really good quality. Mine was 200 euro and was the
> cheapest good one. So I think this would be out.
OKAY, well jumping ahead, there could still be folding bikes for people
who want to pay more. But it is not just status but more flexibility. I
see that this could be a problem is systems that try to de-status things.

> However, I would actually encourage the system to buy bikes for the
> city as a whole, which shoul be given to citizens on a suscription
> basis (many cities have done this, and Paris has just started a huge
> project
PARIS did not buy bikes. One huge advertising company did, and in trade
it gets dominance in advertising spaces, to advertise things like cars,
support objectification of women, and so on. At least it is visual
pollution, which is often anti-people. I think a bad trade off.
> ). These bikes can be made locally (you can do a cheap one in Bogotá
> for around 25 euro, single gear),
HILLS! HILLS! I see hills, our single-gear bikes can't make it!!
> and will not have the problem of taking up space from inside the bus.
TAKING  folding bikes inside PT is becoming a standard in many places,
and it is only discouraged unintentionally by the fact that folding
bikes are more expensive.

> If you convince the PT system that this will really increase their
> catchment area (e.g. the distance from which people will arrive at the
> station), they may actually pay for the bikes and possibly take care
> of the operation of the bike-lending... and build safe bicycle parking
> areas. Other small companies could also take the job of operating the
> bike-lending.
RIGHT. I think the operation of all the pieces can be done by who does
it best. Another important element is that the bikes themselves are part
of "the look" of the system. So the colours are the same, the name too
(e.g. "Transmilleniociclo") and it always shown in marketing with the
mother or core vehicle.

SO the thing is that this is best if not added on later to a project,
but part of the first studies and so on. Who knows, the amount of
projected income an increased reach brings might convince the decision
makers to implement light rail! No, that was not my intention with this.
I am not a puppet of Siemens, Alstom, Bombardier, Skanska, Suez... or
Volvo Bus! And not the bicycle lobby, either!

- T

> [...]
>

> Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it is clear to most of us that combining BRT with bicycles
>> creates a better replacement for cars than either by itself, and
>> there are of course other advantages besides replacement mobility.
>> While the biggest piece of pubic transport and bicycle intermodality
>> is bicycle parking, and it is good if shared bicycles are also
>> considered, the ability to take one's own bike on PT is also useful.
>>
>> The bicycle on bus front rack is used in hundreds of systems in the
>> USA and Canada....
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Translink-B8017.jpg>
>> <http://www.thunderheadalliance.org/site/images/uploads/Bikes_on_Buses_Facts_Sheet.doc>
>>
>> *From Hampton Roads Transit, Virginia (Flash):
>> *<http://www.hrtransit.com/BikesOnRacks/BikeRackMain.htm>*
>>  From the Port Authority of Allegheny County *(*Windows Media
>> Player;* Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and surroundings):
>> <http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/Portals/0/Rack_30_7.avi> *
>>  From Charlotte, North Carolina (Real Player, click on “view demo”):
>> *<http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Riding+CATS/Bike+Racks.htm>
>>
>> ... and each rack costs less than one bus tyre, but this would not
>> work on Transmillenio-type BRT as the front of the bus is not
>> accessible.
>>
>> SO, it seems like it would be good to be able to take bikes inside
>> the buses (or light rail, metro, etc.) but there could be a problem
>> with space.
>>
>> How about if when a city implements a BRT system (meaning dozens or
>> more new buses, infrastructure, expanded depot, etc) it also buys
>> thousands of FOLDING bikes all at the same time - taking advantage of
>> economies of scale - and then sells to these bikes to its riders at
>> or near cost? (Or less than cost with subsidies). There could also be
>> payment plans, where technologically possible.
>>
>> What do people think? Could you all let me know what prices would be
>> acceptable to purchase bikes in various cities?
>>
>> Thanks,

>> Todd Edelman
>> Director
>> Green Idea Factory
>>
>> Korunní 72
>> CZ-10100 Praha 10
>> Czech Republic
>>
>> ++420 605 915 970
>> ++420 222 517 832
>> Skype: toddedelman
>>
>> edelman at greenidea.info
>>
>> Green Idea Factory,
>> a member of World Carfree Network
>> www.worldcarfree.net

>> to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
>> yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post
>> to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it
>> seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

>> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
>> equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72