[sustran] Biofooling-Mythanol / Five years to save the orang utan

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Mon Mar 26 04:03:27 JST 2007

Biofuel demand makes food expensive

excerpt:

"2007 should be a wonderful year," he says with an optimism
uncharacteristic of the often hard-pressed farming community.

"At the coffee-shop people were talking about doctors quitting and
taking up farming."

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6481029.stm>

***

Five years to save the orang utan

Excerpt:
Workers don't usually have guns: the orang utans that get shot are the
lucky ones. We've seen them beaten to death with wood sticks or iron
bars, doused in petrol and set on fire, trussed up in nets or tied up
with wire which cuts through their flesh. Often a mother is killed and
eaten while its baby is sold on or kept as a pet. In the local
plantations where we're working, the managers have now agreed not to
offer the bonus. But there's still a macho thing about bringing down an
adult male.'

<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2042243,00.html>

Todd Edelman
Director