[sustran] Re: BRT - switchover lanes .... alternatively, why not run on the other side of the road-divider?

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Wed Mar 21 13:06:17 JST 2007

Alan,

Sorry that was a typo. I meant they run in the centre of the road. I don't
think yahoogroups permits attachments but I will send you a drawing in a
separate mail. Meanwhile I will try to describe it:

Nearest to the edge of the road is the Footpath (for pedestrians)
Next is the cycle track (still under way)
This is followed by two lanes for motorized traffic (other than BRT buses)
Finally the BRT bus lane segregated from other traffic by 6 inch tall
ferro-concrete blocks screwed into the road surface.

The bus stops for BRT are located at about every 600 meters at road
junctions and meant for serving BRT buses moving in one direction only hence
they are on located between the second MV (motor vehicle) lane and the BRT
lane. To accommodate the width the road is slightly broadened at the
junctions and a BRT overtaking lane is also accommodated to enable express
buses to overtake the buses standing on the bus stop. Bus stops are
beforethe junction, which enables passengers to get off the bus and
cross on the
zebra crossing to reach the footpath.

This is the design but presently to keep the dedicated lane active, the
ordinary PMT (Pune Municipal Transport) buses are allowed to use the
dedicated lanes. Many details need to be worked out and hopefully will be --
including enforcement to ensure the zebra crossings are not over run by
vehicles stopping for the red light, signage, cycle tracks, BRT bus stops
with facility for fine buses to be move close enough to bus stops for "same
level boarding" (presently through old habits they park about 6 feet away
making nonsense of the level boarding concept.)

Hope this give you a better idea. Will try to send photos.
--
Sujit

On 3/21/07, Alan Howes <alan at ourpeagreenboat.co.uk> wrote:

>  I'm interested to hear that this is done in Quito. I had considered it a
> possibility - but my worry was about problems at junctions and the like.
> Needs thinking about.  Anyone out there who can advise?
>
> Sujit - you say the bus lanes in Pune are "in the central" - can you be
> more specific? Or even better, point us to some photos of the scheme in
> action!
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan Howes, Perthshire, Scotland