[sustran] Re: Google buses- comfort!

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sun Mar 18 01:50:41 JST 2007

Hi,

YES, Carlos is right... the part I left out of my earlier post was that
I hope these GoogleShuttles will inspire other current operators to
increase the quality of their offer... BUT that begs the question: "What
if the huge amount of money Google seems to be spending on this - after
all another Silicon Valley company is offer 600 dollar monthly
proximity-incentives - was instead spend directly on the relevant
existing public systems?" I think we would get more bang for the buck...
and Google employees can be steered toward using it with any measures
necessary to make their existing car-commute slog seem even more sloggy
by comparison. These Google employees seem to like the service because
it is convenient for them - more so for than for any "green" reasons  -
and I simply don't think it is a good trend if all the big companies
start using their own micro-services to make it easier for people to get
to work. Especially if people are using things like GoogleShuttles to
replace their intermodal journey - with the train as the core mode - it
could actually decrease the quality of public transport, possibly
analogous to the situation where public schools lose out when children
are sent to private ones. And regarding "mode shift"... I think we need
"distance shift", of which mode shift is a component part.

In proximity,

Carlos F. Pardo SUTP wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually, what I liked about the Google article was that it shows a
> comfortable "public" transport arrangement, which is one of the things
> that is few times implemented (at least in developing countries). The
> race for high-speed and low-time-travel public transport has left us
> in a 7personpersquaremeter situation where some of us can barely
> breathe. Yes, it's part of the business structure and yes, it's
> difficult to have buses where everybody can sit, read or sleep when
> you need to lower the fare as much as possible. But we have to try and
> do this somehow (cross-subsidies? congestion charging?), in order to
> "pull" people from cars and "push" them to public transport. Comfort
> is key, especially when it is one of the major reasons for which
> people use unsustainable modes of transport (the car is sooo
> comfortable, air conditioned, etc that users will never think of
> another option). Please bear in mind that the majority of the
> population can't care less about emissions or sustainable transport,
> they just care about getting from A to B in the least time possible -
> just themselves, nobody else in the city. Unfortunately, while we
> should also promote sustainable transport by showing its
> environmental, social and economic benefits, we should also work on
> these selfish motives that drive people in the end (comfort, luxury,
> apparent power, etc). I find this is one of the most important issues
> we have to address in order to really promote mode shifts. We can't
> keep thinking that people will start riding buses and bicycles just
> because it's such a good thing for the environment! Unfortunately, at
> least not for now.
>
> Best regards,
> Carlos F. Pardo
> Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator
> GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
> Cl 93A # 14-17 of 708
> Bogotá D.C., Colombia
> Tel/fax:  +57 (1) 236 2309  Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
> carlos.pardo at sutp.org   www.sutp.org

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory