[sustran] Re: Google buses

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sat Mar 17 23:11:31 JST 2007

Hi,

To look at this story a bit more broadly, it is about corporate and also
personal responsibility...

While it is clear that it is better for employees to go by this shuttle
bus rather than in their own cars, the main issue is that Google and its
fellow Silicon Valley resident companies have their HQs in a low-density
area with possibly inadequate public transport to the front door. The
very successful CalTrain commuter railway - which goes from San
Francisco to Silicon Valley - is not mentioned directly.

The sitings of these Internet behemoths was the first mistake. So now
everyone has to pay the price for that. And only a minority is using
public transport. These companies should move to denser population
centres - perhaps with incentives. Maybe one big facility should be
split, e.g. with communication between a Google North and Google South
done electronically or via the railway with local feeders (including
cycling), which should be much more efficient per passenger than using a
small shuttle bus.

The greener mode of transport - I would call it "boutique public
transport" - which is the main focus of the article does not mention the
other problems with long-distance commuting, from the difficulties it
creates for people staying connected - physically - to the places they
live (including their children), and also to their colleagues. Both are
important, and achieving both with a motorised solution - even a kind of
communal one using bioDiesel (from what sources?) - is not necessarily
sustainable.

In proximity,

Carlos F. Pardo SUTP wrote:
> March 10, 2007
> original source:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/10/technology/10google.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=dcb412d03d29e1f6&ex=1331182800&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
>

>   Google’s Buses Help Its Workers Beat the Rush
>
> By MIGUEL HELFT
> <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/miguel_helft/index.html?inline=nyt-per>
>
> MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — The perks of working at Google
> <http://www.nytimes.com/mem/MWredirect.html?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=GOOG>
> are the envy of Silicon Valley. Unlimited amounts of free
> chef-prepared food at all times of day. A climbing wall, a volleyball
> court and two lap pools. On-site car washes, oil changes and haircuts,
> not to mention free doctor checkups.
>
> But the biggest perk may come with the morning commute...[...]

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72