[sustran] Re: (NEWS) Mumbai's BRTS project turns into a joke!

Alan Howes Alan.Howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 19:15:47 JST 2007

My problem is that having spent six weeks in Mumbai last year, while I mastered reasonably well the transport issues and the geography, I still have not got all these institutions and acronyms sorted out!  What is the MTSU? I would guess Mumbai or Maharashtra Transport Studies Unit - but knowing the name does not tell me what it is or what it represents. Would anyone like to volunteer to put a glossary of Maharashtra transport acronyms on a website somewhere?

Anyway, it's obvious that judgement of "responsible reporting" is something of a subjective matter - but I did wonder whether Raj could tell his right from his left.  My understanding is that all proposed Mumbai bus lanes will be on divided highways - when Raj wrote about lanes in the "middle of the road" I really did not know whether he meant the middle of the carriageway or next to the median (and did "right" mean on the wrong side?).

Anyway, my understanding of the MMRDA proposals is as explained in Bina's post. The problem, however, with with-flow bus lanes placed immediately to the left of the median is that, assuming bus stops are on the median, the bus doors are on the wrong side (an expensive problem to fix). MMRDA explained to me an ingenious proposal for overcoming this - at the stops the buses would swap sides, crossing the median through a gap immediately before and after the stop. This sounds perfectly feasible to me - the only potential problem I foresee is that the necessary gaps will be used (illegally) by other traffic, or even pedestrians (who get a pretty raw deal in terms of getting across the road).

I would be interested to know if this proposal is still being pursued.

But I have to say that I will be very pleasantly surprised if a significant amount of properly-designed, properly-enforced bus lanes are in operation in Mumbai by the end of 2007.

Regards, Alan

--
Alan Howes
Associate Transport Planner