[sustran] Re: Will you let your children cycle to school ? I won't

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sat Mar 10 02:50:14 JST 2007

Hi,

I think there be possibilities for some EU - Developing World Twinning
projects on this (but the funding for these programmes is changing)...

<http://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/life/third_countries.htm>

... including knowledge sharing of  "Safe Routes to School" programmes:

Click on:
<http://www.google.cz/search?hl=cs&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=thi&q=Safe+Routes+to+School&btnG=Hledat&lr=>

There is also Cycle Training for Children. One example:
<http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/safety-security/training.shtml>

My main advice is to prioritize creation or re-creation of
infrastructure which slows down, reduces or eliminates private
traffic... RATHER than making children (and really everybody) feel that
they are guests in the road, and the road is dangerous (and will always
be). This is to say that it is not the fault of the children that the
streets are dangerous, and also relying too much on things like orange
safety vests for children just enforces the idea that the street is for
transport, rather than for play and interaction.

Finally, someone like Todd from VTPI probably has information about how
many deaths and injuries to children riding or walking to school are
caused by cars which themselves are being used to take children to school!

Autofrei Wohnen wrote:
> Hi Chu Wa.
>
> in Berlin is a working Group "Mobility Education Berlin", several
> environmental and education-NGOs are involved:
> www.mobilitaetserziehung-berlin.de/
> <http://www.mobilitaetserziehung-berlin.de/> (only german, will be
> relaunched soon)
> *
> for more information contact Mr Martin Schlegel, Friends of the Earth,
> section Berlin (in german: BUND Berlin e.V.):
> Martin Schlegel
> Verkehrsreferent
> BUND Berlin e.V.
> Crellestr. 35
> D-10827 Berlin
> Germany
> Fon: +49 - (0)30 - 78 79 00-17
> Fax: +49 - (0)30 - 78 79 00-18
> e-Mail:  mschlegel [at] BUND-berlin [dot] de
> *
> see also the (german) website from BUND Berlin e.V. about mobility
> education with a lot of useful information and links. I think it`s
> worth to translate:
> www.bund-berlin.de/index.php?id=124&type=10
> <http://www.bund-berlin.de/index.php?id=124&type=10>
> *
> Not to forget the annual "I walk to school" campaign:
> www.iwalktoschool.org/ <http://www.iwalktoschool.org/> (in engl.)
> *
> best wishes,
> Markus Heller