[sustran] Will you let your children cycle to school ? I won't

chuwa chuwasg at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 15:26:04 JST 2007

- primary school pupils want to cycle to school on their own but parents' concerns are stopping them.

  - 90% of youngsters have bikes and more than 30% of them would like to cycle to school, only 1% actually do

  - parents who drive their children to school risk  creating a habit of dependency that undermines children's confidence  and self-reliance

  - It's a great shame children are being denied the  opportunity to experience this (cyling) independence because parents are worried  about their safety on the roads

  All above remarks from THE HERALD (UK) can  be applied to Singapore directly. I am just wondering how many cities  (developing or not) are facing similar problems?

  Chu Wa
  Commuter cyclist
  Father of two

  The full news: http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1247222.0.0.php