[sustran] YOU can change BBC World Service transport-related content

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Tue Mar 6 23:51:25 JST 2007

Hi,

A producer of the BBC World Service radio show "The Beat" responded to a
complaint of mine that the programme's occasional "Driving Songs"
segment does not reflect the reality of how most people in the world get
around, i.e. by public transport [if not walking, etc.]. So on last
week's show, originally broadcast on 27 February - which is on their
website until 21.30 GMT this Thursday, 8 March - the host reads most of
my comments and also those from someone talking about what people listen
to whilst cycling... and of course he makes some cheeky comments of his
own. I also think they intentionally picked someone from Ghana, i.e. a
developing world example, as the featured driver.

To find it on the web go to:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/the_beat.shtml>

and click on "Audio -  Listen to the Beat"

The whole bit is about 90 seconds and starts at 1:09:00 but without
reloading the page it is awkward to forward and impossible to rewind so
I suggest just listening to the preceding nine minutes, which is about
the great Ry Cooder.

***

REQUESTED ACTION: I am sure they are monitoring listener comments - if
any - on this issue, and will probably change the content a bit if
people want it. To comment, just fill out the form on the right side of
the page and click "submit".  It will be automatically sent to the
show's producers.

If this email reaches you too late to listen to my comments, you can of
course still make your opinion known on the issue on the same page.

Thanks for listening,

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory