[sustran] Reinventing transport in cities: "Eyes on the street"

Eric Britton (Fr) eric.britton at free.fr
Tue Jun 26 15:33:23 JST 2007

I am working to complete a major presentation that tries to take a useful
whack at the challenges of “Reinventing transport in cities”, energized as a
result of the great increase in awareness of the need for changes in the
face of the ongoing environmental catastrophe. And in this context one of
the plates I am working on tries to outline in a few words some the
challenges that we face on the streets when moving from old to new mobility
environments. That is to say into a world of many more different types of
street uses

Here is what I have summarized and that I am pleased to share with you for
your eventual use and if possibly your comments. These I will incorporate
into the final piece which will be available to you all within the week.

1.	New mobility environments call for new skills and attitudes for all
2.	Sharing the street with may different kinds, sizes, types and speeds of
users brings a new set of challenges to all concerned
3.	The significant environmental changes are going to bring with them risks
and inevitably accidents due in large part to the unfamiliarity of users
4.	The difficulty of our ability to deal these new challenges must not be
underrated
5.	Everyone is concerned – Car drivers, cyclists, walkers and public
transport
6.	And others: playing children, handicapped people, conversing adults,
street traders
7.	Persistent attention to an ever-changing flux of small details requires
high visual acuity, considerable motor skills, calmness of mind, great
respect for others
8.	These are not the dominant attitudes of drivers in a hurry on a car-only
road
9.	These considerable risks need to be anticipated and provided for in
advance
10.	This underlines the importance of the education and communications
components of the new programs

As I work on all this and try it out with experts and general pubic
audiences, what strikes me most is how very different things are for those
of us who wish to bring about change in these matters. The windows are open,
the air is flowing, the needs are clearly there and we have a world that is
ready for change.. Let’s get together and make this thing work.