[sustran] Re: M1 Expansion to cost 21 million pounds per mile; real life numbers

mpotter mpotter at gol.com
Mon Jun 11 17:30:35 JST 2007

Setty et al-

Perhaps someone is thinking of the French language, in which if I'm
correct, the word  "milliard" means the English word "billion".   And
perhaps also they are considering the case of widening the entire
length of M1.   And perhaps they are thinking of  not a bus for
everyone in the UK but a seat on a bus for everyone in the UK.  So if
one thinks of a billion pounds/mile for the entire length of the
highway versus a seat on a bus for everyone in the UK, we  might come
closer to having the numbers match.

In any case, highway construction is highly coddled in almost every
country on the planet.  Could  this be connected in someway with the
enormous contributions that highway construction companies lavish on
politicians?

A real life story with verifiable numbers  (go to
http://obama.senate.gov/news/050804-wacker_rehab_part_ii_announced/
index.html to see the figures for street reconstruction) :

In one American city, Chicago, $200 million US was spent in 2001 and
2002 to rebuild a 1/2 mile (.8 km) E-W stretch of one street, W. Wacker
Drive. (Google Earth "W. Wacker Dr., Chicago" to see it).   Now another
$280 million US has been earmarked to rebuild a similar short N-S
stretch of  the same street, ( Google Earth, "S Wacker Dr., Chicago").

In contrast, note that  the federal subsidies for the entire Amtrak
national passenger rail system in the US  in 2002 was $521 million US.
(see http://www.publicpurpose.com/amtrak-subys.htm).

To put that in perspective, in a country which in 2002 had a population
of almost 300 million, the national subsidies to the national passenger
rail system was something like 40% more (adjusting for inflation
between 2002 and 2007) than what it  has and is costing to rebuild
about a mile of one street  in one medium sized  city.  (I think it's
safe to say that Chicago's 3,000,000 population is medium sized by
Asian, African  and Latin American  standards, though it's 9.8 million
metro population probably push it into the big leagues).

Mark Potter
millennium3
Fukuoka, Japan