[sustran] Re: Local cycling environment indicators: More on . . .

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sat Jun 9 05:38:02 JST 2007

Hi,

Chris Bradshaw wrote:
> Todd's rejoinder to my earlier comments about whether modes compete or are
> compementary to each other could benefit from the "green transportation
> hierarchy.'
>
> It suggests that favouritism/priority be accorded in accordance to the
> relative 'footprint' of each.  That puts them in the order:
> - Walking (and for walking handicapped, rolling)
> - Cycling (and in-line skates, skateboards)
> - Transit
> - Vehicle sharing (taxi, car-rental, ridesharing, carsharing, and informal
> sharing of cars where parties share expenses)
> - Private car

SURE, that works, except of course better without cars...

> As far as using the Internet to avoid going out at all, I am of the mind
> that walking is still superior to that, since vital streets play an
> important role, and so do co-workers seeing each other, even if not every
> day.  And, after all, some stay-at-home activities generate vehicle trips by
> others, e.g., delivery vehicles, which add little conviviality to streets.

OK
> This hierarchy means that one does not accommodate a mode at the expense of
> a mode _above_ it on the hierarchy.  For instance, I have always found that
> bike racks (and bikes with their 'protusions') on buses makes the front of
> the bus very ped-unfriendly in the case of a collision between the two.

SEEMS dangerous perhaps but in the over-litigious USA there has not been
ONE lawsuit etc. against maker of the rack or the bus operators which
use them. In 14 years of use, hundreds of thousands of trips per month.
I think basically it is not good to get hit by a bus, and, statistically
at least, the racks dont seem to make it worse. Emergency rooms dont
record special info about the racks making things worse, emergency
doctors assoc. is not concerned. But talk to a European traffic expert
and they will tell you there are no problems in the USA or Canada
because NO one walks.

> Could buses not be designed for bikes to be carried outside in another way?

I AM open to ideas. But for city buses they need to be in front so
driver and cyclist ¨can see bikes, cyclist can tell driver he or she is
putting bikes on rack,etc.

> For this reason, I find carrying a well designed folding bike on-board, or
> using shared city bikes to avoid having to take a bike along on the transit
> portion of the trip, to be superior choices.

FOLDING bikes are great, shared bike are great, bus bike racks are great....
> I have found that most of the 'choices' governments offer never seriously
> create any competition for car-use or car-ownership.  Rather, the measure is
> usually transit-dominant, with almost no effort to mix/match the other three
> modes above the private car, so that multi-mode trips are possible and
> comfortable.

RIGHT.

- T
> Chris Bradshaw
> Ottawa

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72