[sustran] Re: European Parliament considers health warning for automobileadverts...

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Sat Jun 9 03:55:49 JST 2007

Hi,

I am not holding my breath that this will come to pass BUT as I wrote
before they will need to change the messages around in order to be
effective... so the best thing to do if you want to stay involved or get
involved is to get a job at the high-priced advertising agency which the
EC hires at EU 5000 an hour for this gig...

- T

Chris Bradshaw wrote:
> Todd, Idea Factory:
>

>> This has been a topic on some of these lists before so thought you might
>>
> be interested...
>

>> "...The report that the parliament will vote on also calls for a big
>>
> change in the way cars are advertised.
>

>> A fifth of ads would have to be given over to a variation on the health
>>
> warning on cigarette packets.
>
> I have always favoured this approach.  However, warning people should not
> get too drawn out, with references to cars emitting pollutants or being able
> to go well above speed limits (which should be controlled by government).
>
> It might be enough to say, "This product increases danger to self and others
> in proportion to speed and distance driven."
>
> It include statistiscs on the resources used to produce and eventually
> dispose of it, plus the odds that it will result in a death or major injury,
> plus its total emission during its 'life.'
>
> Chris Bradshaw

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72