[sustran] Re: On the politics of transportation -- and breaking gridlock

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Fri Jun 8 04:42:47 JST 2007

This reminds me of a 'round-table' session on 'transportation planning
in the developing world' that I attended some years ago. The discussion
was about 'what kind of models were most appropriate for these areas'.
The panel basically broke down into two groups: a chinese and chilean
representative who emphasized the importance of having good data and
good skills, and an african who pleaded for something more practical
when those two elements are missing.

The african representative emphasized that there may be only a very
brief 'window of opportunity' when the political will is in place, and
they don't have the time to wait years collecting data. In this
situation mediocre results may be the best that one can hope for. On the
other hand, ideally they would be able to choose interventions which
could be built on in the future. Also, building local institutional
capacity should be part of this effort as well. Throwing money at
high-paid international consultants is not a 'sustainable' solution, but
the donor agencies probably share some responsibility for this as well.
For example, it is quite common that transportation planning software
will be bought as part of a project budget which is provided by an
international aid agency. On the other hand, these international donor
agencies will most likely not provide funds for maintaining the on-going
support and training of the software installation, so there will not be
any local capacity built up in the future!

Best regards,

Zvi