[sustran] Re: On the politics of transportation -- and breaking gridlock

Carlos F. Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 04:09:11 JST 2007

Joao's email is interesting.

If I can use the black hat for a moment, I'd say that Joao is right but
not 100%. Yes, political will is one of the great requirements of
successful improvements in urban transport for a city. However, I'm not
sure if it's the real first step, rather than local technical knowledge.
For example, sometimes (seldom, but sometimes) you'll see a city where
there is all the political will to improve the transport situation, but
the technical expertise is not there and, in the rush to have something
done to "improve" (and for the political figure to show that he or she
has done something), you get pretty mediocre results which may end up
worsening the situation.

The question is how to arrive at that political will. Some of us working
on this have found that direct contact with policymakers with visual
products (photos, videos) and key stats are useful to make politicians
change their minds, at least in principle. High-ranking figures and
institutions that present this information (e.g. the "Peñalosa effect")
are also very (very very very!) effective. But then again, you need to
also find a way to give the expertise to the locals. Otherwise, 80% of
the budget will go to expensive consultants.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator
GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
Cl 93A # 14-17 of 708
Bogotá D.C., Colombia
Tel/fax:  +57 (1) 236 2309  Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
carlos.pardo at sutp.org   www.sutp.org