[sustran] Electric Bike Policy in China-Dissertation

Chris Cherry cherry at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 8 02:57:06 JST 2007

Hello,

For those of you interested in some policy analysis of electric bikes in
China, take a look at my recently completed PhD dissertation. I look at some
of the net environmental, safety and mobility/accessibility impacts of
electric bikes and found that overall, they provide huge mobility gains at a
somewhat low safety and environmental cost, especially compared to some of
the less sustainable modes we can think of. If you're really interested,
read the whole thing. The best way to get the idea is to read the last two
chapters (case studies and conclusion). The big problem with these bikes is
the huge amount of lead (Pb) being introduced into the environment and to
some environmental policy makers and researchers, this should be a deal
breaker.  There are some more sustainable battery technologies that can be
employed, but some economic incentive needs to be put in place to encourage
their adoption. I am planning on following up this work with some more
environmental, safety and traffic impact analyses in the future. Here is the
link to my dissertation:

http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~cherry/Publications/full_dissertation-committee_
final-2007.pdf

Comments are appreciated.