[sustran] Graz 30/50 speed limit etc and cycling

Eric Britton (Fr) eric.britton at free.fr
Thu Jun 7 15:58:19 JST 2007

From: Michael Yeates [mailto:michael at yeatesit.biz]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:39 AM
To: NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups. com

RE: Local cycling environment indicators: More on ...

Following my comments about slower speeds and in particular reference to
Graz, I have done a GOOGLE using < Graz 30km/h > . There is a lot there
including some rather big MB files ... too big for my access account.

However I selected a few references (including one of mine as it turned out)
to give a flavour of the support for the ideas being implemented in Graz.

I must say I am delighted to find that Graz is still experimenting
(trialling? demonstrating? developing? "reinventing"?) in "integrated
transport policy".

If I recall correctly, this is the term in English that describes/translates
one of those wonderful Austro-German combined words that is used in the Graz
policy and promotional material.

I have also emailed Prof Sammer to see if he has papers available in
e-format that I might distribute.

regards

Michael Yeates

SLOW DOWN! NOW!

A 20-km/h speed limit reduction makes a big
difference: fewer and less serious accidents happen.
Lower speed means less traffic needs less space and causes less noise: it
improves the quality and livability of urban space.  A lower general speed
encourages walking and cycling, and thus supports an active and healthy
lifestyle.The  European Cycling Federation (ECF) strongly recommends the
introduction of 30 km/h as a general speed limit for all built up areas.
50 is out
The general urban speed limit of 50 or 60 km/h, introduced in most European
countries in the fifties and sixties, is no longer socially acceptable.
International experience shows
that an urban speed limit of 30km/h is not only better for road safety and
noise, but also gives smoother traffic flow and improves the quality of
urban life.

Slow is in

Lower speeds have a great positive impact on road safety. While collisions
between cars and unprotected road users will result in at least 40%
fatalities at 50km/h, this falls to only 5% at 30km/h, and injuries are
significantly less serious.

Positive experience over 30 years

During the last 30 years, experiments and experiences with 30 and 40km/h
zones have proven the numerous benefits of lower speeds in many European
countries.  While the increase in driving time is hardly noticeable, lower
speeds bring a significant improvement in road conditions for cyclists and
pedestrians.   International studies have shown that between 80 and 90% of
the urban road network is suited for reduced speed.  This comprises roads in
residential areas as well as shopping areas.  Only main arteries and road
without buildings at the roadside are suitable for 50km/h. For this reason
it would be simpler and more efficient to introduce30km/h as a general speed
limit in urban areas instead of continuing to establish single 30km/h
islands.

Successful: 30 km/h as urban speed limit

. Since Graz Austria, introduced a general speed limit of 30 km/h for all
but the major roads (where 50km/h remained) in 1992, the number of accidents
has decreased by 15%.
Over 75% of the road network are subject to the lower speed.

150,000 less injuries
The consequences of a general 30km/h speed limit in urban areas can be
illustrated by a few accident figures.  The 21 European countries recorded
in the IRTAD (OECD) database
suffered about 20,000 fatal and almost 1,000,000 injury accidents on roads
in urban areas in 1998.  A 15% saving -like in Graz- would save150, 000
injury accidents-each year.

Increased cycle use

Positive effects on noise and a general improvement of the Speed makes the
difference: A cyclist or pedestrian being
hit by a car with speed 60km/h is like throwing oneself out a window from
the fifth floor.
Livability of cities is a bonus, on top of the accident savings. Especially
for cyclists, car speeds have a great effect not only on actual but also on
the perceived safety.  Using a bicycle
under a 30km/h is much more pleasant than at 50km/h.  Such a change would
encourage walking and cycling, which would mean more physical exercise and
better long-term public health..

Encourage healthy lifestyles

A general 30km/h limit is completely in line with the WHO Charter on
transport, environment and health, signed by
European ministers in June 1999.  In this charter the ministers have
committed themselves to create supportive conditions
That permit and stimulate a substantial increase in the number of short
trips undertaken by these physically active modes of
transport (walking and cycling).  The introduction of 30km/h as the general
speed limit for built-up areas would contribute  to these targets and would
thus be a good step in the right direction.

Overwhelming benefits

The evidence and positive experiences with 30km/h as a general speed limit
in urban areas are so convincing that there is no reason to wait any
longer.  says Horst Hahn Klockner, ECF president.  Via its member
organizations,
ECF asks the national governments in Europe to introduce 30km/h as the
general urban speed.  We also ask the European Commission to establish this
as one of its road safety priorities
And to recommend it to the member states.

        Thomas King , Ursula Lethner
                   European Cyclist  3.2000
 [ the above was sourced from
http://home.connect.ie/dcc/newsltrs/spokes2001/cs-autumn2001.doc ]

Also you can see how a city with up to 70% or more of its streets and roads
having a 30km/h speed limit can then encourage other 'integrated' changes
such as increasing other-than-car travel to school (and elsewhere) and use
of much smaller, lighter and less environmentally damaging cars as shown in
http://www.stockholm.se/pages/352574/Trendsetter_pres_english.pdf

also see
http://www.pimms-eu.org/downloads/newsletters/PIMMS_newsletter_2.pdf

also http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/trs/roadsafety/sub15.pdf