[sustran] Re: Local cycling environment indicators: Let's have a look at . . .

Chris Bradshaw c_bradshaw at rogers.com
Tue Jun 5 00:16:05 JST 2007

Eric,

> Bikeability indicators - Quick introduction:

Since I don't think we are leaders in this field, I think it would be useful
to look at the 'bikeability' scales that have already been developed, both
to get ideas and perhaps to see if we might wholly import.

http://www.velomondial.net/ has a four-level system -- based more on
municipal policy than on on-the-ground results -- for "bicycle
friendliness": platinum/gold/silver/bronze.
They also have an on-line "city characteristics questionnaire" that cities
can fill in.
They also discuss a concept called 'car-sparse areas.'

www.bicyclinginfo.org/de is a site of the Washington DC-based National
Center for Bicycling and Walking.  It uses the term "bicyclability" and has
an equal interest in walking (although the group started out as a cycling
org.).

http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity.org/ is the site of the League of
American Biocyclists (was League of Am. Wheelmen). It has an award program
for qualifying Am. cities.

I find bike parking missing from your list.  How much?  How do bylaws
support it?

> City size/density:

Size is not as important as density, but to keep trips short (to bicycle
distances, without the cyclist, as you point out, having to be an
'enthusiast'), land use is also a factor.  Are neighbourhood retail sectors
strong?  And are such neighbourhoods 'complete'? (as in do they have a full
set of destinations to support living on at least a daily-weekly scale?
This implies a planning process that is pro-active, such at as property
becomes available locally, first consideration is given to what local area
_needs_ as to what land use should be chosen to locate there)

Chris Bradshaw
Ottawa