[sustran] Transport agency reform consultant wanted; also advice on setting up busway!

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 31 22:07:40 JST 2007

I would appreciate advice on two things...

I am working in Mauritius as the government's adviser on a range of
transport strategic planning issues.

Top priority is the establishment of a new Land Transport Authority to
replace existing dysfunctional and duplicative transport bureaucracies.
With financial assistance from the World Bank, the government is
developing terms of reference for a consulting team to plan and put in
place the new organization, designed to perform its role in an integrated
and streamlined way, and to high standards of performance.

World Bank procedures allow us to shortlist six consulting companies to
receive and bid on the terms of reference. I would very much appreciate
nominations of worthy firms that can perform this role. The companies
should have excellent experience in organizational development, but also
be specifically equipped to work in the public sector and with transport
organizations. The company must also have the sensitivity to deal with
local government and cultural practices which may be different from those
at their home base.

Please forward me suggestions!

Next on my priority list is to work on establishment of a new busway to
enhance bus service and reduce congestion in the Port Louis - Curepipe
corridor. If any of you have done busway development work, I would
appreciate some help in formulating an initial plan covering major steps
we need to take in implementing the busway.

Many thanks for any guidance on either of these topics!

                                                             --Jonathan!

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
Level 4
New Government Centre
Port Louis
Mauritius