[sustran] Re: more on value of modes

Eric Bruun ericbruun at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 22 07:06:48 JST 2007

Daryl

This will be my last comments to your thread, as I think the moderator
rightly doesn't like these kinds of discussions to ramble on.

I don't object to "generalizations" being made, I object to "gross overgenralizations".

I don't agree to your concept that selecting of modes is only about what works for "most people". "Most people" of an entire nation don't go into the Central Business District of a large city every day. Does this mean that we should only support automobiles? The time concentration and location concentration of travel have a great deal to do with what are the appropriate modes (note the plural). Or what about the large percentage of persons who are too old or young to drive, have disabilities, or simply don't want the responsiblity of driving -- can we ignore their mobility needs because they are in a minority? In the United States, this
minority is about 100 million people. In India it is probably in the hundreds of millions of people.

I don't agree either that modes should be paid for ONLY by those who benefit. Your definition of benefit seems to be confined to the movement from point A to point B. Your definitions of benefits and costs are too narrow. People benefit (and get costs imposed on them) in a variety of ways depending upon what modes are being favored or have been historically favored by public policy. Just a couple of examples: People who like to drive actually benefit as well when people who are willing to use public transit do so. It would be physically impossible in any kind of efficient city for every person to drive a car for every trip (assuming, unrealistically, that they all had a driver's licence and could afford a car). People who want to walk or bicycle benefit from investments in a public-transit oriented urban form because this is complementary to their needs, but are largely deprived of this ability in a car-dependent urban form. People who prefer the auto-based lifestyle don't compensate these people in any way for the involuntary imposition of an auto-based lifestyle that is forced upon them as well.

Benefits can be even more indirect. For example, we all will benefit from reduced global warming if some of us are given the option not to drive.

All of these examples show why a monetary subsidy to non-auto modes might be justifed. On the other hand, making auto users pay more than they personlly benefit from their auto might also be justified as their personal benefits comes with far more externalities than traveling by transit, by bicycle or by walking.

Eric