[sustran] Re: Reminder on sustran-discuss focus on low and middle income countries

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Jul 19 17:23:55 JST 2007

Paul Barter wrote:

> Many thanks to everyone who participates and makes sustran-discuss so
> useful. You are an amazing group.
>
> It seems a good time to make a little reminder: *the sustran-discuss
> list has a focus mainly on urban transport policy issues in countries
> with low to middle incomes.*
>
> We are not too rigid on this. The experience of rich places can be
> relevant. There were some examples in the excellent discussion on
> ownership issues prompted by Mumbai events. Some European examples
> came up and it was appropriate.
>
> Seattle's east side railroad in a suburban area in the USA would
> be one example of a topic outside sustran-discuss's focus.

WHAT is most interesting for me and what I think has global applications
is the the extremely perverted way this threat to the railway has been
created... that it is part of a very complicated landgrab and
landswap... more, it seems, than bad transport policy in a rich nation.
So, my feeling is that since that kind of stuff could happen anywhere
some lessons could be learnt.... the transport thing is this sense just
a "hook"...

.. BUT will there also be situations soon in the countries which are the
main focus of this List where highways are next to railways and
arguments start to widen the highway and lose the railway? (perhaps I am
contradicting myself)... finally, if the hundreds of the people on this
list show solidarity with the supporters of that railway project - I am
going to see if World Carfree Network's Mobility Justice Campaign
(which, by the way, as I understand  it, put pressure on World Bank and
govt. in Dhaka to be more accepting of pedal rickshaws) will want to
take this on - than, when there is another problem in the Global South,
maybe the Washington State people would be able to return the favour, so
to speak.

One planet.

- T

> Thanks again everyone for all your generosity in sharing your
> thoughts. Voices from the 'global South' are particularly welcome.
>
> Paul
>
> (co-manager of the list)
>
> PS.  the list is received by about about 450 people.

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72