[sustran] Re: Car ownership vs use and free public transport(wasMMRDA will file PIL to block Tata's Rs1 lakh car)

Alan Howes alan at ourpeagreenboat.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 04:32:11 JST 2007

This is all very fascinating, if time consuming to read.

I agree that free buses are not the answer. Even compared with a 1 lakh car or a 2-wheeler, bus and rail fares in Mumbai are very low.

And while Brendan's analysis is commendable, I think his specification for attractive PT is rather over-egged for Mumbai.

Crikey, at many times and places people just can't get on the buses! What Mumbai desperately needs (apart fom the Metro and rail improvements) is more buses, right now, and priorities to get them through traffic. And less messing around worrying about how to get the BusCo to make ends meet. (I can say that now I have changed jobs!)

So tell me Debi, or Sujit, or Anjali - how are these plans for BRT in Mumbai by the end of 2007 progressing?

Regards, and very best wishes trying to bring sanity to transport planning in Mumbai, Alan

--
Alan Howes, Perthshire, Scotland