[sustran] Re: Car ownership vs use and free public transport (was MMRDA will file PIL to block Tata's Rs1 lakh car)

chuwa chuwasg at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 00:26:43 JST 2007

If I may add, reading through this ealier thread, and reflecting on a speech by Janine Benyus in TEDTalk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77BfxnVlyc) it hits me that the motorized private car may well be one of the most destructive invention of mankind. Car, in a small number is a wonderful toy. If used occasionally it's also fine, but the way it turn out now it's eating away way too much resources for too little value as return. The large number of cars in many countries is quickly becoming a liability rather than an asset to the owners and the society. Following the principle mentioned at the end of the video, it made me wonder if there is a design that achieve the purpose (transportation) and INCREASE the chances of future survival (Sustainability), just like most of the other live forms are doing in a natural way.
  I was recently in Penang, where public bus service is very poor, many people there have cars, my sister's family of four have 4 cars, not because they are very rich, but because the cars are very affordable and there is no real alternative choices (road become so hot and dangerous, and there is hardly any cyclist). And the usual story of traffic jam. I heard the Malaysia government want to promote their car industry and therefore provide financial incentive for people to own cars (zero down-payment, cheap subsidized gasoline). On the other hand, seeing the consequence,  they are also afraid of the negative impact on environment and want people to e.g., car-pool, but all my friends say it's not practical.
  The design principle of private car is so dump, the opportunity to improve is proportionally huge. But cheaper car is not going to help the situation. Meanwhile, the developing countries are happily driving into the destructive direction. (http://tinyurl.com/2wmavp)