[sustran] Re: MMRDA will file PIL to block Tata's Rs1 lakh car

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Jul 12 17:35:02 JST 2007

Hi,

chuwa wrote:
> Thanks to everyone, this thread has been highly stimulating and
> educating for me.
>
> I hope not to distract the discussion but just chance upon this
> article (http://thetyee.ca/Views/2007/07/05/NoFares1/) which make a
> interesting connection back to the current discussion of banning cheap
> cars. What can be more compelling than "cheap car"? What if instead of
> banning "cheap car", there is someone offering free & good public
> buses in Mumbai?
> To go all the ay, perhaps it can be a profitable business model to
> offer this service for free in exchange of an opportunity to be in
> touch with the mass. Like JCDecaux sponsor street furniture
REMEMBER their advertising will be likely to pollute in other ways...

> , or Google offer excellent free search engine for the world, both to
> capture a critical "touch point' with the mass.
> In Singapore, there are several "free" bus routes linking large
> shopping malls and MRT stations.
THERE are big environmental, social and business problems with large
shopping malls... I also think they use the "free" buses to "hook"
people on the malls so that when they get a car they continue to go
there. People don't not get a car because of one free bus to one mall.

> Mentioned in the article, high quality free bus service in Hasselt,
> Belgium has been expended 500% since it started in 1996 and now has a
> ridership close to 4 Millions.
ON the other hand Hasselt is a dream come true.

- T

> to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
> yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post
> to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it
> seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
> countries (the 'Global South').

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72