[sustran] Re: MMRDA will file PIL to block Tata's Rs1 lakh car

P. Christopher Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 12 13:30:38 JST 2007

The most recent estimates I've seen for a 2001 US gasoline-powered
"family sedan" suggests that fuel use (well to wheels) accounts for >90%
of lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (~70% from the vehicle on
road cycle and ~22% from the fuel cycle); the rest, about 8% comes from
the vehicle life-cycle:

(Schafer, A., Heywood, J., Weiss, M., 2006. Future fuel cell and
internal combustion engine automobile technologies: a 25-year life cycle
and fleet impact assessment. Energy 31 (12), 2064–2087.)

Ignoring that, it's not just about USE, as vehicle storage is an
oft-externalized cost.  Here in Cambridge MA, for example, one gets
rights to a car-sized piece of pavement for residential on-street
parking for US$8/year - far below the annualized cost of the space.  And
of course, this fee does not vary, whether it be a Hummer or a Yugo that
you're trying to park (actually, [thankfully?] Cambridge probably has
very few of either of those vehicle types...)

cz