[sustran] Re: MMRDA will file PIL to block Tata's Rs1 lakh car

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Jul 10 14:51:03 JST 2007

I don't think our democratic constitution will permit such a ban, which can
be prevented on grounds of unjustified discrimination (unless lack of safety
is cited as the reason and can be proved to be true) but the idea for
automobile restriction will hopefully become possible to sell at least in
some form, to our policy makers who are selectively ignorant to the
consequences of auto domination.

It may become possible to force them to admit that auto-mania needs to be
countered in the interest of the majority of population which is the
sufferer.  And as Walter rightly points out there are other options - we
could start by charging heavy levies on fuel guzzlers and high polluting
vehicles, as well as tightening parking controls (something totally
contradictory to present policy of searching for parking spaces even under
ones bed!!
:-)
--
Sujit Patwardhan
Parisar/PTTF

On 7/10/07, Walter Hook <whook at itdp.org> wrote:

>  The spirit is good, but the means seems very wrong headed to me.  What is
> the legal precedent?  That governments should be allowed to ban certain
> categories of vehicles from city streets if the price of the vehicle is too
> low?  This is outrageous.  A 1 lak car consumes no more road space than a
> car costing much more.
>

> I would encourage the MMRDA to look into traffic cells, congestion
> charging and market-oriented parking charges as more rational policies for
> allocating scarce public road space in Mumbai.
>

> Walter

Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com
sujitjp at gmail.com