[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] problem in London

Michael Yeates michael at yeatesit.biz
Sun Jan 21 09:47:34 JST 2007

Hi ...

One solution in use in Oz (well certainly in Brisbane with some 700 buses
in its bus fleet) is a requirement for ALL traffic to GIVE WAY to buses
signalling an intention to pull out from an indented bus stop/bay. It
applies on roads with 60 and 70 (and 80km/h?) speed limits.

It works reasonably well esp if the bus drivers provide some notice, ie
don't suddenly put on the right turn indicators AND pull out simultaneously
......... AND motorists indicate early eg flashing headlights is useful to
signal the bus driver.

The police action is clearly a typical pro-motorists' perspective whereas
the legal situation is or should be quite clear namely,

1. bus driver required to signal intention to leave the bus bay ... right
indicators on for sufficient/reasonable time
2. motorists slow down or if necessary stop to GIVE WAY to the bus
(flashing headlights is useful to signal the bus driver)
3. motorists travelling too fast or too close to avoid crashing into the
vehicle in front are driving illegally on a number of counts eg too close,
too fast, without due care and attention, etc and probably others.

I am amazed this system is not in place having assumed it isn't otherwise
the police decision does not make sense (?) so if this is a novel solution,
then I will try to send a photo of the signage involved.

One other point ... I would strongly suggest that the problem reduces
dramatically when rather more priority is provided to public transport eg
as with Edinburgh's "green lane" system that provides the buses and
cyclists and taxis with priority and creates space for the buses to pull
out ...

So in terms of scoring using one example of Eric's "consistent philosophy"
approach, the "York hierarchy" priority of peds including people with
disabilities (see the Pedestrian Council of Australia for the rationale)
then cyclists then public transport (then taxis?) then small
freight/delivery then cars, the London police and TfL example puts cars
first ...!!!

Not exactly what I would have expected from "green(er) transport Ken".

Michael Yeates
Public Transport Alliance