[sustran] S.A.T. Project, 4D City

Valeria Serrano valeria.serrano at serrano-pecorari.com.ar
Wed Feb 21 23:57:27 JST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I have been following your debates and contributions with interest, sharing
your concern on the evolution of urban environments and state-of-the-art
technologies that may shape future sustainable scenarios. It is following
this line where I believe I may give our contribution, headed probably from
a different scope.

We agree today that facing worldwide critical-stage in matters of
sustainability, makes “alternatives” to be no longer a choice, but a
necessity. Today’s proposals in the fields of green-policy & technology are
certainly a contribution, though we believe not substantial to achieve
sustainability if a paradigmatic shift in urban development and
transportation is not addressed. A new order cannot be defined from the
optimisation of variables, as this may only aim to achieve a limited
improvement over existing parameters. This is the central matter.

I am part of a multidisciplinary Group that has been since 1999, developing
a special R&D Programme entitled “4D Cities”. The Program has been
structured from a set of Projects that will shape the future sustainable
development of contemporary mega-cities into cities of the 21st century,
from a paradigmatic shift in urban mobility and the evolution into a new
urban order.

The Programme’s core has been the formulation of the “4DCity Theory”, which
premises were to analyze the relationship between urban dynamics and the
present obsolete urban structure (built environment) and infrastructure
(i.e. transportation), proposing to re-shape present living-conditions to
meet new global demands. The Manifest states that cities must evolve under a
holistic perspective to meet sustainable standards. From our findings we may
say that this will only be possible, if cities are ‘up-graded’ under a
‘space-time equation’ (shifting from present 2D-cities to the conception of
4D-cities).

This has been the trigger to face the challenge of developing S.A.T.
Project: the first 3D Private-Public Mass Transportation System, for people
and freight. S.A.T. stands for “Autonomous Transportation System” and
defines not only a technological innovation (3D Transportation) but sets a
new transportation category as it has been conceived not from traditional
transportation schemes, but from a holistic vision, integrating
environmental and societal issues, urban planning processes, architecture,
policy and sustainability matters and transportation engineering. Today, all
present means of transportation work in 2D. S.A.T. Project has the
particularity of working under the 3 directions of movement: horizontal,
vertical and on a gradient; which will lead to the re-organisation of
present cities. We are not only talking about a paradigmatic shift in urban
transportation, we are saying that cities will be able to increase by ten
times the number of inhabitants while meeting sustainable development
standards.

Our proposal of a 4D urban organisation has found in S.A.T. Project, the
tool to shape the evolution of contemporary 2D cities and induce their
paradigmatic shift towards a 4D City, a new dynamic and sustainable
organisation which will define:

*   a new concept of  Urban Governance.

*   a new concept of Market.

*   a new concept of Urban Sustainability.

*   a new concept of Urban Property.

*   a new concept of Transportation and Mobility.

*   a new concept of Society.

*   a new concept of  Production.

The re-structuring process of contemporary cities will be generated from its
urban dynamics, cities will not need to be ‘on hold’ to define their
transformation process, on the contrary; the urban rhythm will increase
achieving higher standards in production, exchange and interaction, applied
these to any sphere (business, social, market, cultural, etc.), while cities
will be already evolving.

Our Research and Projects have been validated by the scientific community at
International Forums and publications. An International Cooperation has been
developed in partnership with the Transportation Logistics Organisation from
Delft University of Technology to develop further studies on S.A.T Project.

It is quite difficult to address a brief introduction to a seven-year R&D
Program; I hope this at least frames the nature of our contribution. If you
believe this may be of your interest, you may find more information in the
following websites: www.serrano-pecorari.com.ar
<http://www.serrano-pecorari.com.ar/>  and www.satproject.com.ar
<http://www.satproject.com.ar/>  and we remain open to your contact,

Best Regards,

Valeria Serrano.

Valeria Serrano, Prof. Architect

Director

Serrano Pecorari & Asociados

De Los Robles 3071 Ciudad Jardín El Palomar

B1684CBC    Buenos Aires   Argentina

*   0054.11.4751.7541

*  <mailto:jvaleria.errano at serrano-pecorari.com.ar>
valeria.errano at serrano-pecorari.com.ar