[sustran] Re: Skies turn grey in Ulan Bator

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 00:23:46 JST 2007

Dear All,

I was in UB in June, 2006 to conduct a preliminary assessment of the current
AQ activities and emissions. The urban planning commission in UB conducted a
study last year which concluded ~90% coming from Gers and rest from
transport (~7%) and industry (~3%).. not sure of the exact proportion, but
that's the ball park. Gers in general are a major contributor given the high
altitude of the area, valley like terrain which traps all the pollutants in
situ, and low inversion layer which is very prevalent in the cold
conditions. This makes Gers the prominent source. On the other hand, it
makes a lot of difference where you take these measurements. Closer to the
gers, higher the contribution of those sources to the measured value - give
and take some dispersion of pollutants from the neighborhoods. In this
study, all the pollutants were combined together, which is not an usual
procedure. That's the official assessment.

Overall, motor vehicles are a major contributor, along with Gers increasing
coal consumption. Given the trend in the number of vehicles on the road,
their contribution is bound to increase several folds.. including indirect
pollution from vehicles.. the fugitive dust from the roads. Given the dry
conditions in UB, there is a lot of tendency for higher resuspension of dust
on the roads. Ozone is also increasingly becoming a problem, but the
monitoring system is limited in its capacity.

Now, there is also an Air Quality Management Bureau (AQMB), which is in its
infancy and will take some effort and collaboration from the international
agencies to start and study some projects. Currently, a full scale study to
inventorize the multiple sources and multiple pollutants in a co-benefit and
integrated framework is yet to be undertaken. There has been some rough
estimates in the past, but there is a growing need and demand from the
locals to establish a credible knowledge base, which hopefully will happen
soon.

Programs like Efficient stoves for Gers, reducing coal consumption at power
and industrial level - by reducing elec losses, will be contributing to
reducing air pollutants and GHGs, but how much and how is a question. There
are some recent publications on Indoor Air Pollution in Gers and the
efficient stove program.

with regards,
Sarath

--