[sustran] Re: Biofuels- everything that shines is gold?

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Feb 2 19:02:43 JST 2007

Hi Brendan,

Brendan Finn wrote:
> Todd,
>
> I understand those points, but please look again at the questions I
> raised. Not all biofuels are generated by destroying rainforests (for
> example in Ireland we grow rape seed in ordinary fields that would
> otherwise be fallow
MY understanding is that fallow lands are useful for wildlife. Look in
what I sent you for energy return on growing, harvesting and processing
rapeseed.

****
> , without damaging the hedgerows) and the plain fact is that our
> societies are based on automotive vehicles using combustible fuels.
Answer what you want or believe: 1) Yes, and biofuels will ensure we
keep it that way, sustainably!, 2}Not for long, 3) Not for long, and if
we don't start adjusting things we are screwed, 4}I know, but I hate it,
5) Some of the above.

****
> Bus operators can't just park up their existing fleet of buses because
> there is no ecologically-pure fuel available.
I AM more concerned with the tailpipe emissions of buses, and that they
are used efficiently, than what they use for fuel. A full petroleum bus
is better than 50 biogas cars.

> Now, for a simple person like myself who is involved at the
> operational end of things, are biofuels a red herring when looking for
> cleaner fuels and inherently unsound in themselves; or in a
> conventional setting, is it better to use them than to use petroleum
> or gas fuels?
Do you like 1) Dairy products?  or 2) Milk for drinking and yoghurt for
breakfast, but not cheese, nor milk in your coffee? What I mean is that
"biofuels" is a useless term to describe an incredibly wide variety of
products with varying degrees of pollution (from manufacturing to
tailpipe) and sustainability (is a traffic jam full of cars  using 100%
local waste methane okay?). Biofuels does not necessarily means
carbon-neutral. We cannot only look at  the fuel source to see what is
"better".
>  ]
> BTW, in the event that on balance biofuels are better (or less harm)
> than petroleum products, I accept the point that responsible companies
> should do an ecological due diligence on what they are buying.

They got to and we got to look at the whole cycle, the whole picture.

HERE is something more:
<http://www.transportenvironment.org/Article350.html>

edelman at greenidea.eu