[sustran] Fuel Consumption and Environmental Impact of Rickshaw Bans in Dhaka

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Dec 25 17:33:32 JST 2007

From: Saiful Alam [mailto:shovan1209 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 25 December 2007 06:53
To:  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Subject: Fuel Consumption and Environmental Impact of Rickshaw Bans in Dhaka

Fuel Consumption and Environmental Impact of Rickshaw Bans in Dhaka

Dear all

Most trips in Dhaka are short in distance, usually one to five kilometers.
These trips are perfect of Rickshaws.  Rickshaws are cheap and popular mode
of transport over short distances.  Rickshaws are safe, environmentally
friendly and do not rely on fossil fuels.  Rickshaws support a significant
portion of the population, not only the pullers, but also their families in
the villages, the mechanics who fix the rickshaws, as well as street hawkers
who sell them food.  From the raw materials to the finished product the
Rickshaw employs some 38 different professions. Action needs to be taken to
support the Rickshaw instead of further banning it in Dhaka .  The combined
profits of all Rickshaws out earn all other passenger transport modes (bus,
rail, boats and airlines) combined.  In Dhaka alone, Rickshaw pullers
combine to earn 20 million taka a month.

We think that over the coming holiday of Eid du Ajah, new Rickshaw bans will
be put into action on roads in Dhaka .  Eid was used in the past to place
new bans on roads in Dhaka .  Last Eid many roads were declared Rickshaw
free without public support or approval.  By banning Rickshaws roads are
clogged with increased private car use as well as increased parking by cars.
Banning of Rickshaws on major roads increases the transportation costs for
commuters. Not only due to longer trips to avoid roads with bans in effect,
but also due to actually having to take more expensive forms of transport
such as CNG or Taxi, where in the past a Rickshaw would suffice.  The
environmental impact of banning Rickshaws is obvious because it exchanges a
non-motorized form of transport for a motorized form of transport, thus
increasing the pollution and harming the environment.  Rickshaw bans harm
the most vulnerable in society, mainly the sick, poor, women, children and
the elderly; generally those who can not afford or do not feel comfortable
on other forms of public transport.  To ban Rickshaws also hurts small
businesses that rely on them as a cheap and reliable form of transporting
their goods.  Rickshaws are ideal for urban settings because they can
transport a relatively large number of passengers while taking up a small
portion of the road.  In 1998 the data showed that Rickshaws took up 38% of
road space while transporting 54% of passengers in Dhaka .  The private cars
on the other hand, took up 34% of road space while only transporting 9% of
the population (1998 DUTP).  This data does not include the parking space on
roads that cars take up in Dhaka .  If included this would further raise the
amount of space taken up by private cars.  Every year the Rickshaw saves
Bangladesh 100 billion taka in environmental damage.

The government makes many efforts to reduce traffic congestion in Dhaka but
with no success.  Blaming Rickshaws for traffic congestion and subsequently
banning them from major roads has not had the desired affect.  Traffic is
still as bad now as it was before the Rickshaws were banned on major roads.
Rickshaws thus can not be seen as the major cause of traffic congestion.
Instead one should look towards private cars and private car parking on
roads as the major cause of traffic congestion.  The space gained by banning
Rickshaws is often used for private car parking.  The current trend in
transport planning reduces the mobility of the majority for the convenience
of the minority.  The next time a ban on Rickshaws on another road is
discussed please take into consideration who is being hurt and who is being
helped.  For a better transport system in Dhaka we need to create a city
wide network of Rickshaw lanes.  If this is done Dhaka can reduce its fuel
usage dramatically as well its pollution.  We ask your help in our fight to
keep Dhaka a Rickshaw city.  Any information or help is very much
appreciated and sought after.  I write you this letter to describe the
difficulties we are facing and some solutions but they are by no means
exhaustive and we look forward to your help and input.

Syed Saiful Alam  Shovan

           Volunteer

Save Environment Movement

House # 58/1,  Kalabagan 1st lane