[sustran] Report on Clinton Climate Initiative/C40 join workshop on transport, London, Dec. 2007

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Dec 24 19:14:36 JST 2007

We have to reduce about 80% of our greenhouse
gas emissions over the next 10 to 15 years."
- William Jefferson Clinton, 1 August 2006

As many of you in our several New Mobility programs and discussion groups
are aware, we have been enthusiastic supporters of these goals of the
Clinton Climate Initiative
(http://www.clintonfoundation.org/cf-pgm-cci-home.htm ) as set out in the
opening statement of President Clinton back in the summer of 2006. In this
spirit here is the latest information that we have from them their first
report on their collaborative transportation program event with the C40
Cities Climate Leadership Group (http://www.c40cities.org) that took place
in London in the first week of this month:.

·         Opening page on their 3-5 December transport/congestions workshop
in London -  <http://www.c40cities.org/events/0712transport/index.jsp>
http://www.c40cities.org/events/0712transport/index.jsp

·         C40 workshop program -
<http://www.c40cities.org/events/0712transport/programme.jsp>
http://www.c40cities.org/events/0712transport/programme.jsp (text follows
below)

·         Press release announcing event and its objectives -
<http://www.c40cities.org/news/news-20071203.jsp>
http://www.c40cities.org/news/news-20071203.jsp

·         Remarks on city cycles -
<http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess1-dector.pdf>
http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess1-dector.pdf

·         Closing remarks on the Clinton Climate Initiative transportation
program - Steve Crolius, Senior Director, Clinton Climate Initiative -
http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess8-crolius.pdf

This last overview paper by their Senior Director sets out the 13
product/service areas which they are targeting. I have shifted their order
slightly to put the three that interest our new mobility/climate action
programs (http://www.invent.newmobility.org)  most in the top three slots.

·         BRT Design Services

·         Fare Collection Systems

·         Traffic Management Systems

·         Advanced All-Electric Buses

·         Diesel Particulate Filters

·         Ethanol Buses

·         Fuel-Cell Buses

·         Hybrid-Diesel Buses

·         Hybrid-Diesel Refuse Trucks

·         Hybrid-Diesel School Buses

·         LED Traffic Lights

·         Light-Vehicle PHEV Conversion Kits

·         Outdoor Lights

Your comments on this program and these documents are welcomed. May I
suggest that you address them to NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com .

Eric Britton

"The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group is a tremendous idea

and a fine example of the different dimensions of international
collaboration."

Sir Nicholas stern

Pointing the way to New Mobility

Photo of Velib showing the way in Paris traffic. From the Greening of
Transport report.

http://www.invent.newmobility.org

C40 workshop on transport and congestion

Programme

All presentations are available as PDF files.

Day 1: Monday 3 December 2007: Changing behavious

Opening remarks: Aims and objectives of the workshop, useful information –
Simon Reddy, Manager, C40 Secretariat
Keynote address: Ulla Hamilton, Vice Mayor of Stockholm; Ken Livingstone,
Mayor of London

Day 1, Session 1: Walking and Cycling

Introduction and overview of Day 1 topics: Moderated by Mark Watts, Special
Adviser to the Mayor of London
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess1-torslov.pdf> How to
make cycling a lifestyle choice in your city: Niels Tørsløv, Director,
Traffic Department, City of Copenhagen
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess1-dector.pdf> Cycle
hire schemes: a way to encourage the rapid uptake of cycling? – German
Dector-Vega, Strategy Manager, Transport for London (Strategy Development,
Surface Transport)

Day 1, Session 2: Infrastructure investment, land-use planning and urban
design

Moderated by Gustaf Landahl, City of Stockholm

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess2-rodriguez.pdf> Bus
Rapid Transit (BRT) systems: Angélica Castro Rodríguez , Transmilenio
Company, Bogotá
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess2-malmberg.pdf>
Attractive urban redesign for walking and cycling: Torsten Malmberg,
Director, Strategic Planning Department, City of Stockholm
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess2-morales.pdf> Sao
Paulo initiatives to climate change: Cesar Morales, Deputy Secretary for
Transport, City of Sao Paulo
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess2-lompscher.pdf>
Berlin’s progress in implementing a sustainable transport policy in the
city: Senator Katrin Lompscher, Senate Department for Health, the
Environment and Consumer Protection, Berlin

Day 1, Key note address 2

How Transport for London is addressing climate change in its planning for
the future: Peter Hendy, Commissioner, Transport for London

Day 1, Session 3: Travel demand management (TDM): smart measures

Moderated by Mr Bharat Singal, Delhi Integrated Multi-modal Transit, Delhi

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess3-plowden.pdf>
London’s Sutton trial: practical implementation of a range of TDM
programmes: Ben Plowden, Programme Director, Travel Demand Management
Programme, Transport for London
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess3-nussio.pdf>
Sustainable Mobility through Access Restriction Policies and Clean Zones:
Fabio Nussio, Head of International Relations, Mobility Agency for the City
of Rome

Day 1, Session 4: Travel demand management: regulatory measures

Moderated by Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, NYC Department of Transport

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess4-dix.pdf> Congestion
and emissions-related charging in London: Michèle Dix, Managing Director for
Planning, Transport for London
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess4-soderholm.pdf>
Congestion tax in Stockholm: Gunnar Söderholm, Head of Administration and
former head of Stockholm congestion trial, Stockholm
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day1-sess4-goh.pdf>
Environment-Friendly Traffic Demand Management in Seoul: Mr Hong Seog Goh,
Director of Transportation Planning, Seoul Metropolitan Government

Reception, London Transport Museum

Hosted by the City of Stockholm and address by Ulla Hamilton, Vice Mayor of
Stockholm

Day 2: Tuesday 4 December 2007: vehicle technologies

Opening Remarks

Day 2, Session 5: Alternative vehicle technologies

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess5-jessup.pdf> Plug-in
hybrids (cars): Phil Jessup, Executive Director, Toronto Atmospheric Fund (
<http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess5-jessup-transcript.pd
f> Transcript of the presentation)
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess5-weston.pdf> Hybrid
and fuel cell buses: Mike Weston, Operations Director, Surface Transport,
Transport for London
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess5-morsing.pdf>
Bio-ethanol buses: Fredrik Morsing, Director, Alternative Fuels, Scania
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess5-jobson.pdf> Buses
with internal combustion engines using gaseous fuels: Prof. Edward Jobson,
Environmental Director, Volvo

Day 2, Session 6: City Experiences

Moderated by Ulla Hamilton, Vice Mayor of Stockholm

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess6-savage.pdf> New
York’s experiences with hybrids to date: Thomas J. Savage, President, MTA
Bus Company, New York
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess6-wallin.pdf>
Stockholm’s experience with ethanol and bio-gas buses: Stefan Wallin,
Environment Manager, Stockholm Public Transport Company (SL), City of
Stockholm
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess6-singal.pdf>
Introduction of Compressed Natural Gas in Delhi: Bharat Singal, Officer on
Special Duty, Delhi Integrated Multi-modal Transit, Delhi

Day 2, Session 7: Other key issues to consider

Moderated by Linda Manyuchi, Director, Air Quality Management and Climate
Change, City of Johannesburg

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess7-landahl.pdf>
Creating a market for clean vehicles: Gustaf Landahl, Head of Department
Planning and Environment, Environment and Health Administration, City of
Stockholm
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess7-woods.pdf>
Alternative vehicle and fuel sustainability: Dr Jeremy Woods, Research
Fellow, Imperial College, London
 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess7-archer.pdf> Biofuel
certification options: Greg Archer, Director, Low Carbon Vehicle
Partnership, London

Day 2: Session 8: The Clinton Initiative Transport Programme

 <http://www.c40cities.org/docs/0712transport/day2-sess8-crolius.pdf>
Presentation of the CCI’s Transport Programme: Steve Crolius, Senior
Director, Clinton Climate Initiative
Closing Remarks: Nicky Gavron, Deputy Mayor of London