[sustran] ADB in Viet Nam: Bring on the Asphalt!

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Sat Dec 15 05:39:53 JST 2007

ADB Assists Viet Nam in Ho Chi Minh City Expressway Development

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is providing a
$10 million loan to help develop an expressway that will ease traffic
congestion in and around Ho Chi Minh City, the largest city in Viet Nam
and the country’s economic hub.

<http://www.adb.org/Media/Articles/2007/12312-vietnamese-expressways-developments/default.asp>

***

ADB Approves Largest-Ever Project Loan for Billion-Dollar Highway
Linking Ha Noi, Kunming

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is providing
loans totaling US$1.1 billion to Viet Nam for the construction of a
modern 244 kilometer (151 mile) highway stretching from suburban Ha Noi
to Lao Cai, on Viet Nam’s border with the People’s Republic of China
(PRC). It is the biggest single project financing in ADB’s history.

<http://www.adb.org/Media/Articles/2007/12330-vietnamese-highways-developments/default.asp>

BBC: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7144366.stm>

++++

WELL, at least they don't use the word "sustainable" anywhere in these
press releases... no mention of railway, BRT, buses, public transport,
etc. I imagine they would even if it was a small part of the scheme...
seems like a railway for long-distance would be a better idea, and buses
on the expressway.

... the documents linked to from here barely mention transport at all:
<http://www.adb.org/Media/Articles/2007/12331-asian-climates-changes/default.asp>

CLEARLY creating more economic opportunities is important, but Japan and
the USA together own about 30% of the shares in the ADB, and it seems
like a good future is being created for lorry and private automobile
manufacturers and the oil industry...

Please enlighten me - I am sure I am missing lots of important details.

- T

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net