[sustran] Formulas for value capture in transport

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 7 20:51:27 JST 2007

Firstly, thanks to the many people who have given me great feedback on my
earlier questions! I find myself learning a great deal as I find myself
faced with having to take practical steps which may be different from
those suggested by academic theories!

We are building a new highway and have decided we wish developers to share
the costs. Right now, we are having some developer discussions, but
urgently need to formalize them by the use of a formula which reflects the
value developers will receive from the presence of the highway, and asks
them to pay for it.

I would much appreciate hearing of formulas in use throughout the world,
and how well they have worked out in practice. My first thought is to
assess the likely trip attraction/generation associated with each
developer's activities. Then estimate likely total atttraction/generation
associated with all new developments related to the highway and compare
this to the total volume of usage expected on the highway (which includes
trips by people not gaining access to the development). Then charge
developers that fraction of highway construction costs which relates to
their predicted share of vehicle movements.

But there are other approaches I can think of, including using as basis
the the value of increased business the developers get as a result of the
highway...

Any ideas would be much appreciated, bearing in mind that we need
something we can use quickly and which can be shown to be fair to
developers (who have some political clout) and to the public as a whole!

Many thanks!

                                              --Jonathan!
-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
Level 4
New Government Centre
Port Louis
Mauritius

+230 707-1134 (Mauritius mobile: most reliable way to reach me at
all times)

+1 (617) 395-4360 (US phone number rings at home -- call me in
Mauritius for the price of a call to the US).

+1 (425) 998-0998 (US phone number, connects to mobile phone when in
wifi zone, or goes to voice mail)

+44 (0)7978 807532 (UK mobile number, connects to mobile phone when in
wifi zone, or goes to voice mail). This is also a SIP number. If you
have a SIP phone you can reach me by dialing: sip:447978807532 at truphone.com

>From Google Talk you can add me as a contact by clicking add and
then entering ext+447978807532 at truphone.com. Clicking on this address
will then ring my mobile phone when I am in a wifi zone, or go to voice
mail at other times.

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/