[sustran] Re: Jakarta busway twists and turns?

Chris Cherry cherry at utk.edu
Wed Dec 5 06:56:05 JST 2007

There has been some research coming out of the transportation engineering
(Michael Cassidy and Carlos Daganzo) group looking at trying to maximize the
use of these "empty" BRT lanes (or any limited access lane for that matter).
Essentially, if planned right, one could allow vehicles to enter the
restricted lane only at bottlenecks in the system and thus vastly increase
the throughput of cars with minimal disruption to buses. They have been
looking at this from the context of HOV lanes in the USA, but have recently
been trying to apply the theory to busways in China. This would ultimately
improve the efficiency of the transportation system, reduce congestion and
potentially allow the drivers to perceive the BRT system in a better light.
Of course there are a lot of policy issues around letting cars in some
strategic areas of the BRT system and convincing them that it is not
beneficial to let them in the entire system. Here are a couple of paper out
of the UC-Berkeley Volvo Center

http://www.its.berkeley.edu/publications/UCB/2007/VWP/UCB-ITS-VWP-2007-1.pdf
http://www.its.berkeley.edu/publications/ucb/2005/vwp/ucb-its-vwp-2005-2.pdf

Chris Cherry