[sustran] Re: Fwd: Event: Getting the climate right for transport

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Dec 4 05:42:19 JST 2007

Last week I attended the National Renewable
Energy Laboratory (NREL) Energy Analysis Forum in
Golden, Colorado
(http://www.nrel.gov/analysis/news.html ), where
leading North American energy analysts shared the
latest thinking concerning  greenhouse gas
emission reduction strategies and legislation,
much of which involves emission cap and trade
programs
(http://www.rff.org/rff/News/Releases/2007Releases/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=31222
). Similarly, a recent report by McKinsey,
"Reducing U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions: How Much
At What Cost"
(http://www.mckinsey.com/clientservice/ccsi/greenhousegas.asp
) estimates the economic costs of achieving emission reduction targets.

Virtually all these analyses are biased against
mobility management (various strategies that
increase transport system efficiency by improving
mobility options, encouraging use of more
efficient modes, and reducing the need to travel), for the following reasons:

* Co-benefits are ignored. Current analysis gives
virtually no consideration to benefits such as
reduced traffic congestion, road and parking cost
savings, consumer savings, reduced traffic risk,
improved mobility for non-drivers, and improved
public health, although these benefits are often
larger in total value than emission reduction
benefits (see http://www.vtpi.org/tdm and
www.ap-net.org/docs/16th_seminar/huizenga_caiasia_special.pdf ).

* Current analysis generally ignores the
additional external costs that result when
increased vehicle fuel efficiency and subsidized
alternative fuels stimulates additional vehicle
travel, called a "rebound effect" (see
http://www.vtpi.org/cafe.pdf and
http://www.rff.org/documents/RFF-DP-04-53.pdf ).

* Mobility management emission reductions are
considered difficult to predict. Although case
studies and models are available for many of
these strategies (see for example, case studies
in http://www.vtpi.org/tdm and the TRIMMS Model
at http://www.nctr.usf.edu/abstracts/abs77704.htm
), such models are not widely available or designed for energy planning.

* Mobility management programs are considered
difficult to implement. Such programs often
involve multiple stakeholders, such as regional
and local governments, employers and developers,
and various special interest groups. Even PAYD, a
relatively simple strategy, requires cooperation
of insurance regulators, insurance companies, and
various special interest groups. As a result,
they tend to seem difficult and risky compared
with other emission reduction strategies that
only require changes to utility operations, fuel production or vehicle designs.

* Analysis often assume that current transport
patterns are economically optimal and any
reduction in vehicle travel harms consumers and
the economy. This ignores various market
distortions that stimulate motor vehicle travel,
and the benefits to consumers and the economy of
many mobility management strategies
(<http://www.vtpi.org/distortions_BPJ.pdf>www.vtpi.org/distortions_BPJ.pdf
). With improved travel options and efficient
incentives travel reductions reflect low-value
vehicle-miles that consumers willingly forego in
exchange for  cost savings. In a more optimal
market, with efficient  road, parking and vehicle
insurance pricing, and more optimal planning
practices, motorists would drive significantly
less and be better off overall (http://www.vtpi.org/sotpm.pdf ).

Described differently, there are two general
approaches to reducing transportation emissions:
reduce emission rates per vehicle-kilometer or
reduce total vehicle-travel. The first generally
seems easier, because it simply requires changing
fuels or vehicle design, but, if done correctly,
the second provides far more total benefits. As a
result, significant emission reductions can be
achieved with negative costs (they provide net economic benefits).

Due to these factors, currently proposed emission
reduction programs will not implement mobility
management as much as optimal and so will fail to
achieve other important benefits such as
congestion reductions, crash reductions, consumer
savings and equity objectives
(http://www.vtpi.org/wwclimate.pdf ). A truly
sustainable transportation system requires more
than simply reducing consumption of fossil fuels,
it requires creating a more efficient
transportation system. It will be up to those of
us who understand the wider value of mobility
management to educate decision makers about their
full benefits and overcome barriers, so they can
be implemented as much as justified.

Please let me know if you have comments or questions.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”