[sustran] Biofuels shift seen to put major squeeze on food prices

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Aug 10 00:50:03 JST 2007

  *Biofuels shift seen to put major squeeze on food prices
*

<http://www.wbcsd.org/plugins/DocSearch/details.asp?type=DocDet&ObjectId=MjU2OTY>

(Some things new to me in this one... but I think it is safe to simplify
this all as "as few cars as possible, don't eat beef, drink less cow's
milk" - T)

AFP, 9 August 2007 - A global shift toward renewable energy could jack
up food prices by up to 80 percent as crops and farmland are diverted to
producing biofuels, an international agricultural think-tank warned
Thursday.

Joachim von Braun, director-general of the International Food Policy
Research Institute, said further crop yield improvements and increased
efficiency of these alternative fuels were required if a global price
shock were to be avoided.

Unless governments invest to improve farm productivity "so that we can
cope with the increased demand for biofuels, the (food) prices may come
up between 40 and 80 percent on top of what you can see," he told
reporters on the sidelines of an agriculture and poverty conference here.

"If it's well managed and we have more investment in research and
technology to bring up yield levels in the crops and improve the
efficiency of biofuels, these price effects may only be between five and
15 percent. So it depends on government policy," he added.

Von Braun said that "globally, many countries have plans to scale up
biofuel production in the order of covering 10-20 percent of their
transport fuel," chiefly ethanol and biodiesel.

Brazil has committed to 25 percent while Europe plans to use biofuels
for 10 percent of the countries' needs by 2020, he added.

In Asia, he said the picture was mixed, which China having announced
plans to shut down some of its ethanol plants "because of the concern
for using too much grain for them."

On the other hand, India has moved rapidly into ethanol production,
Japan wants to import more biomass to address its international
commitments on dealing with climate change, and Malaysia and Indonesia
both wanting to be major suppliers of biodiesels based on palm oil.

"So there is a general idea that this is an important market. It will be
partly driven not only from the energy market side but from the global
demand for renewable energy."

He said crops which are "fundamenetal for the livestock industry are
being affected and clearly we will see a lot of correlation in the price
movement in the energy market and in the food market."

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net