[sustran] Israel's 'modesty buses' draw fire

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Wed Apr 25 02:11:25 JST 2007

"*The other day I was waiting for a bus in downtown Jerusalem. I was in
the bustling orthodox Jewish neighbourhood of Mea Sharim and the bus
stop was extremely crowded.*

When the Number 40 bus arrived, the most curious thing happened.
Husbands left heavily pregnant wives or spouses struggling with prams
and pushchairs to fend for themselves as they and all other male
passengers got on at the front of the bus.

Women moved towards the rear door to get on at the back.

When on the bus, I tried to buck the system, moving my way towards the
driver but was pushed back towards the other women.

These are what orthodox Jews call "modesty buses".

Full story: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6584661.stm>

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory