[sustran] Re: Second Master Plan for Chennai. - request for comments

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 18 07:33:31 JST 2007

On my flight from Chennai to London today I found myself seated next to
the vice-president for US operations of one of India's most significant
companies. A perceptive and sophisticated individual, he provided me
insight into many realities of Indian business, government, and social
life. We talked about management and mismanagement -- where things work in
India, where they fail. He did not mince his words in describing failings,
and smiled when I told him about the response on this list to my
truthtelling.

My views about the tragedy of cities of despair such as Chennai are
unchanged: the place is mostly a dump, as I said, people urinate in the
street making large areas stink, development is ugly and disorderly, and
the system of corruption that prevents changetaking place is alive and
well. The poor sleep out on the streets, their children looking frail
sprawled out on the pavements at night. What future can these children
have without the promise of an adequate education or a government with the
decency to care about them?

So I continue to believe that before a city can plan for itself, it must
be able to keep its public toilets clean and other basic public services
running, and it must try to remove at least some of the corruption which
gets in the way of productive change. Leading Indians are quite convinced
of this need, and Westerners connected with development must move from
futile academic thinking to facing the harsh reality of dysfunctional
organizations filled with dishonest people which are in need of basic
reforms. So, be unhappy about being told the truth if you like -- but
understand that hiding distasteful realities helps perpetuate them.

                                      --Jonathan

-----
Jonathan Richmond

1 (617) 395-4360