[sustran] Transport Fund

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 16 17:07:51 JST 2006

Could people give me arguments for and against having a government
transport fund, which contains assets paid from transport taxres, reserved
for planning, building and operating transport projects and for
helping to achieve land-use transportation integration.

I know there are plenty of measures that reserve funds for transportation
purposes in the States, but does anyone know of similar systems in use in
other countires, and whether they have been successful?

Also, what makes transportation special to deserve such a fund? Why not
funds for other sectors of the economy?

Ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

                            --Jonathan

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
Level 4
New Government Centre
Port Louis
Mauritius