[sustran] Re: Engineering the future of transport in Indian cities

Anupam Gupta, CLSA anupam.gupta at clsa.com
Wed Sep 13 19:03:28 JST 2006

Hi Eric - Thanks very much for the detailed reply, it was quite helpful.

Unfortunately I'm not an urban traffic/planning expert and much as I would
want to , I don't think I'm adequately qualified to join the New Mobility
briefs organisation.

The one point I did want to make to this discussion was that in Mumbai,
infrastructure development is more about politics than about real
development and hence the interests of the city come last in the list. In
the light of this unfortunate fact, I think we're quite behind the curve in
terms of new mobility ideas.

You'd know that in Mumbai, transport is looked at by no less than 5 agencies
- MMRDA (in charge of the road and rail development and almost all new
infrastructure projects), BMC (the civic authorities in charge of
maintenance of roads, sewerage, etc), BEST (in charge of buses), Railways
(local trains) and MSRDC (in charge of the BWSL and the upcoming
Transharbour Link).

Almost all of them are pulled, pushed and manipluated by politicians and
political parties. The city hence bears the brunt for short-sighted planning
by people who are transferred every five years from their job. I don't think
we can even start to think of qualified experts at the helm of affairs of
Mumbai's crumbling infratstructure. All we have is a slap-dash bunch of
Keystone Kops.

To that extent I completely agree with you in your response to Sunny.
Indeed, all transport advisers are not created equal or equally balanced.
And with all due respect, "..if proper consideration of all the stakeholders
is taken into account.." sounds like wishful thinking to me when I think of
Mumbai.

Do forgive me if what I've said came out as a rant. I look forward to
learning more from this wonderful group. Thanks once again.

Regards
Anupam