[sustran] Motorcycles in cities

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Sep 12 21:07:59 JST 2006

Eric:

These continuous-flow intersections of "global south"
are food for thought.  What seems to make them work are
dynamic pathways.  Please notice that whenever a rank of traffic
forms, the continuous flow breaks down.  Columns of traffic,
on the other hand, seems beneficial.  Looks like even a four-wheeled
vehicle presents too much of a rank of traffic to permit continuous
flow --  therefore, the preference for bicycles.

Some research needs to be done to determine if a master-mind is
required to make the process work -- or whether just an individually-
decided rule of behavior is sufficient.  I can see from the video that
one individual rule of behavior is to avoid the formation of ranks.

There is probably also the detriment of a vehicle too long.
Eight feet is probably too long.  (Three feet is probably too wide.)
To increase capacity per vehicle, looks like the only way to go
is up;  I would think no higher than six feet without some sort
of retro-jet braking/accelerating system above the ground system.

To me , the question is :  "Can this continuous flow be reduced
to technology?"

best wishes,

Howard Finch
hhowderd at yahoo.com